Friends

Friends

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

6oth Birthday - Part Three!

This is the most exciting part!  After a lovely, fun, HOT, day in Dallas we retreated to our hotel room.  We were staying in the beautiful Hampton Inn at Allen, TX.  I fell asleep at about 11:00 P.M.  Dennis put on his  sleep apnea rig and lay beside me watching TV.  After he turned the TV off  he put the remote control on the bedside table.  As he did that he accidentally pushed a button on the phone.  He didn't think too much about it because he hadn't lifted up the receiver.  A little later the phone rang.  Dennis still thought it was because he had pushed that button so he just lifted the receiver and put it back down.  That seemed to do the trick.

Then the phone rang again.  By now I am wide awake and put out with Dennis for waking me up.  By the time he got the CPAP stuff off and answered the phone, no one was there.  So, we settle in to go to sleep.  It wasn't very long until I was thoroughly awoken!  Someone was banging on our door and yelling that they were the Police.  They were yelling to open the door immediately.  Dennis was trying to get that CPAP stuff off again and put on his jeans.  He yelled back to let him get some clothes on.  I told Dennis not to be snotty, it's the Police!  We couldn't imagine what they could possibly want!

Well, in case you didn't know, there is an Emergency button on hotel phones.  It dials 9-1-1 even if the receiver is still on the hook.  Somehow Dennis managed to hit that button when he was putting the remote control on the bedside table!  The front office called us twice to check on us, but couldn't get us.  So in come the Police.

One very kind officer came in the room with me, and the other took Dennis out in the hall.  Here I was sitting in bed in my nightgown with the covers pulled all the way up!  The first thing he asked me was if I was ok.  Then he asked if Dennis had tried to hurt me in any way.  I told him I was fine and that Dennis had not tried to hurt me.  Then I told him that we were terribly embarrassed!  He proceeded to tell me that I was safe now and could talk to him.  I assured him that Dennis in no way would ever try to hurt me!

Next he asked me what exactly had happened.  I had been asleep during the first part so I told him that Dennis had accidentally pushed a button on the phone and all that had happened from there.  Then he wanted to know why we were in Dallas.  I told him Dennis had brought me there shopping for my birthday.  Next he wanted to know how long we had been married.

After checking our licenses and calling them in (thank goodness we didn't have any outstanding warrants!) he went out in the hall and told the other officer that everything was ok with me.  They came in and showed us what button Dennis had pushed.  I imagine they laughed all the way back to the police department!

Dennis was understandably upset when they left.  I told him he might as well get over it because I thought it was hilarious and that this was the most memorable birthday I have EVER had!  I am still laughing about it!

I did learn that I need to sleep by the phone from now on!!!!

Hayley and Aaron were across the hall from us.  Hayley told us that earlier some people had gotten off the elevator and were really loud. Then the next thing they knew the Police were banging on a door.  She wondered what kind of people were staying on that floor.  She went and looked out the peep hole on their door and saw that the Police were at OUR room.  Of course they worried immediately that something had happened to Nicholas and Brooke.

Poor Dennis, all he was trying to do was give me a great 60th birthday weekend.  He was so embarrassed, but might live it down someday. That is IF I ever quit talking about it!  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment