Friends

Friends

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Christmas 4: Caroling

I love to sing!  I always have and always will.  One of the sweetest memories I have of my Granny Smudrick actually occurred the last time I saw her.  We went to visit and she could no longer make sounds loud enough to hear.  I was sitting by her and noticed her mouth was moving.  My aunt told me "she's singing!"  I couldn't hear it, but my Granny could.  It is amazing to me how much joy can be received by singing, even singing in your mind.

As an elementary school music teacher, I loved teaching Christmas music to the students.  My principal told me that he wanted the children to sing 2 songs every morning at opening during December.  He wanted one secular song and one traditional carol.  I was thrilled to have his support in that.  Every one needs to know at least two verses of "Joy To The World", "Away In A Manger", "O Come All Ye Faithful", and of course, "Silent Night"!  I always told the children that if they ever went caroling they would need to know them.

After the Vienna Choir Boys came to Fairview, we learned "Silent Night" in German.  I love it when my former students come up and tell me they still remember the German words.  Every time I hear "Silent Night" I sing the first verse in German.  After all, it was first written in German.  It seems fitting!

Tomorrow, the caroling time is at 1:30.  I can't wait to go enjoy!  It is a little slice of Heaven!  :D

1 comment: