Friends

Friends

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Country Western Music

Just about everyone who knows me could tell you I am not a fan of Country Western Music!! I love classical music, show tunes, 60's music, Christian music (especially hymns and "Agnus Dei" by Michael W. Smith), old songs from our history, well, just about everything except hiphop and CW. I have even been known to enjoy an occasional rap song (very few, though.)

However, once in a while my children have tricked me into liking a CW song. We have always had a rule in our family that whoever is driving gets to pick the radio station. When Dennis drives we always listen to classical music and sometimes play a game we made up that our children make fun of us about. It is called "Guess the Composer". When I don't have any idea I always guess Buxtehude. One time I was actually right. Dennis & I got a big laugh out of that one.

If Nicholas is driving we always have to listen to Country Western. That is how I found my first CW song I actually liked. It was about a little boy who was throwing a baseball up in the air and trying to hit it with a bat. He never could do it, but instead of getting discouraged, he said, "Even I didn't know I could pitch like that!" I'm sure most of you know it because it is an old one.

Hayley played me a CW video the other day that I had to admit I enjoyed. It is a song called "My Best Days Are Ahead Of Me" by Danny Gokey. I didn't have the name right, but Hayley straightened me out. It has a great message, and I am adopting it as my theme song for this year.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being won over and still wonder where I went wrong with both of my children. I'm just saying you might enjoy those two songs, too.

3 comments:

  1. Hey mom,
    The song is by Danny Gokey: My Best Days Are Ahead of Me.
    See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Francy,
    Don't discount CW. While some and much of it is probably not your type of music, CW is about storytelling. There are many, many wonderful artists and songs. Give it a chance. There is a new one by George Strait (I am going to marry him if Bill passes!!!! haha) that is just fantastic. "The Breath you Take"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is the song of which I posted earlier.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS5X2V5s58A

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete