Friends

Friends

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Happy Autumn!

I love Autumn.  I even like the word, Autumn.  It is a visually beautiful word.  I know you think I'm crazy but I can't help it.  Autumn is a beautiful word!

When I taught school I always made a big deal about the changes of the season.  I taught the students all about what it actually means and even made them call the dates by their real names, Autumnal Equinox, Winter Solstice, Vernal Equinox, and Summer Solstice.  Somehow calling it the first day of Fall just doesn't cut it with me.

I can hear you thinking, "weren't you the MUSIC teacher?" Yes, I was, but I threw in all subjects when they came up. I love vocabulary so I tried to explain what the big words in songs meant.  I tolerate math, so I taught fractions when we discussed rhythm and beat.  I taught science when we studied sound.  All you people out there who think that the music class is just another recess are totally wrong.  I could get on a soapbox about that, but I'll spare you.

Somehow I digressed, so back to Autumn.  I feel melancholy when Autumn comes because the summer is over and the year is winding down, but I love the weather when it is crisp, but not cold.  I love when the leaves turn colors, and I love Autumn foods.  Apples, nuts, and pumpkin are comfort foods to me.  I have even tried a pumpkin soup in NYC.  I loved it!

Today is the Autumnal Equinox.  Enjoy!

P.S.  Tonight is one of the rare times that a Harvest Moon occurs exactly on the Autumnal Equinox.  Enjoy the beautiful full moon!

1 comment:

  1. This a beautiful post. I could not agree with you more!!!! I LOVE all the seasons!!!
    Love Rhonda

    ReplyDelete