Friends

Friends

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Why Music?

Why music?  That is a very good question!  It is as hard to answer as why pink or why Peanuts?  From about 5th grade on I knew playing the piano was for me.  Hymn playing is something that some people find to be easy and others find very hard.  It came easily for me so I was playing for opening at Sunday School by 5th grade.

One thing my mom did that I think was very smart was buying us sheet music to any songs we wanted.  I remember learning "How Great  Thou Art."  On a Sunday morning that I consider a turning point in my life I was playing it in the Sunday School classroom before Sunday School.  I was a 5th grader.  A high school guy named Rocky Albers was the pianist in the 4th grade classroom. He was a fabulous pianist that I admired a lot.  He walked into my classroom and told me to keep playing and to play louder.  Then he went into the 4th grade room and started to play with me.  What he added was exquisite.  I will never forget that day and that duet!  My only regret is that I couldn't be out in the hall listening.  He has no idea what he did for me that day, and that he actually kickstarted my musical career.  I often think I need to find a way to thank him, but I'm sure he has no memory of it.  I still love to play duets to this day!

No comments:

Post a Comment