Friends

Friends

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Doctors I Have Known, Part One


The comedian, Jerry Clower, did a hilarious routine called, “Dogs I Have Known”.  For some reason that title has always stuck with me.  When I was thinking about writing about my doctors, this title came to my mind and wouldn’t leave.  I don’t plan on equating my wonderful slate of doctors to those dogs, so don’t worry.

Since I have been diagnosed with liver disease, my life seems to be filled with doctors!  I feel that God has blessed me with each one of them.  They are all wonderful men who treat me kindly.  I am grateful for that and highly recommend them to anyone needing a caring doctor.  I plan on writing about each one of them, but they have to have their picture made with me first.  J 

That brings me to Dr. Cristopher D. Schultz, just one of my doctors that is young enough to be my son!  Amazingly, I am still able to trust him.  I have no doubt that it was God’s divine leading that brought me to him.  When I was taken ill with my bezoar, I went to the Fairview Hospital Emergency Room.  I vividly remember my dear friend, Debbie Wiens, telling me in the ER that they were sending me by ambulance to Enid to Dr. Schultz.  I was, of course, nearly beside myself with what was going on.  Besides that, I totally hate riding in an ambulance.  It is an experience that I hope never to have again!  Debbie leaned down and said, “You will love Dr. Schultz.  He is a wonderful doctor.”  Well, she was right.

When I got to my room in Bass Baptist Hospital at Enid, he came right in to see me.  I was scared to death, and he comforted me immediately.  I could tell he would take good care of me.  It was Spring Break, and the poor man had plans to spend a lot of time with his sons.  That is as it should be!  Nevertheless, he kept me on as a patient and saw me through a really tough time.  Even though I say that I was practically loony when I was in the hospital, I do remember that he showed my family and me great kindness and consideration.  His mother brought him up right.  This young doctor has been gifted with bedside manner.  I can’t say enough good about him.

I remember asking him early on “Where do you see me in one year’s time?”  I’ll never forget his answer.  He said,  “I predict that you will be as good as you are now or even better.”  I was afraid I wouldn’t even live another year.  I can still feel the flow of relief that washed over me.  That was two years ago.

Nearly every time I had an appointment I took my camera because I wanted my picture made with him.  He managed to weasel out of it every single time.  At my last appointment I finally pinned him down.

I'll be seeing Dr. McFadden soon.  I  have taken my camera to appointments with him before, too.
Maybe this next visit will be the one where I get a picture with him.  I'm on a roll now!  

2 comments:

  1. He bought us pizza one night in the ICU, and he even let you have a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. I don't think a piece of pizza ever tasted so good! I also remember asking him if I could have a coke when I was in ICU. He had one brought to me immediately! :D

    ReplyDelete