Friends

Friends

Friday, January 25, 2013


Transplant

I am one of those people who have been blessed with vibrant good health.  Dennis and I seldom, if ever, met our insurance medical deductible.  That is why all of this came as such a shock.

I have unsuccessfully fought a weight problem most of my life.  If you can think of a weight loss plan, I have tried it.  I did not do fin/fin, however.  I’m sure I misspelled that.  In 2003 I decided to try an over-the-counter weight loss pill called Malibu Trim by the Taebo Corporation. I took a pill in early January and 3 hours later came down with chilling and aching.  I assumed I had the flu.  Two weeks later I felt better so I took another pill.  The same symptoms occurred, this time much worse.

This was on a Sunday.  By Friday I had turned yellow and was so ill I had Nicholas take me to the doctor here at Fairview.  That is when I started seeing Dr. James Garner as my PCP, a wonderful guy.  He immediately entered me in the hospital.  I was sure the pill had caused it because things were identical.  No one agreed with me.

After a week at the Fairview Hospital I was taken by ambulance to Integris Baptist Hospital at Oklahoma City.  I was now under the care of Dr. Gurakahr at Nazih Zuhdi Transplant Institute.  I’m sure I don’t have to tell you I was terrified and had turned dark yellow. 

After a biopsy I was proved right!  It showed a chemical damage of 25%.  They began to look at that pill with different eyes.  I was told that my liver should heal itself.  I improved rapidly, lost 60 lbs., and didn’t have to quit my job.  Things went along pretty well for 6 years.  I didn’t feel perfect, but after all, I was in my 50’s.  Age was affecting me, too, I figured.

Things took a dramatic turn in March of 2009.  I’ll begin with that next time.

1 comment:

  1. You're brave to tell this! It is hard for me to relive. I can picture myself exactly where I was when Nicholas called to tell me they put you in the hospital, and I literally crumbled in hysteria when they called to tell me they were taking you to OKC in the ambulance. You are a beautiful miracle, and I love seeing you change every time I see you.

    ReplyDelete